August Post

Almost two months ago, I stepped into 1430 Tulane Ave (the Hutchinson building) for the first time. That moment now feels like forever ago, much like the first time I stepped foot on my undergraduate campus. The past two months have been eye opening, allowing me to grow as a person and scholar. 

I moved from a small liberal-arts college in semi-rural Northfield, Minnesota (population 20,000) to a graduate program at the Tulane school of medicine, in New Orleans. I don’t think it’s worth expounding on how these environments are different; no-one in their right mind could confuse Northfield for New Orleans. However, I’ve been struck by the similarities between these institutions. Caring professors and bright, collaborative classmates have thus far marked my experiences. 

So far, our program has covered two blocks, basic principles and ANS/CV. We’ve covered a lot, but I’ve found that between the accessibility of my professors and group studying with my classmates, the work has been manageable. Studying with classmates has been a huge step and a bit of a revelation for me, as in undergrad I would tend to work alone and try to power through mountains of work in solitude. My classmates have shown me that by working together and helping out, we can all achieve more. 


I believe this last sentiment is important, and one of the best qualities expressed by Tulane students. In my experience, the Tulane community is interested being involved with the greater New Orleans community; something I look forward to contributing to myself in the coming year. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog